The digital reKYC process adds a new layer of security to financial transactions and trading accounts. It is an essential part of the Know-Your-Customer (KYC) process, to which banks and other financial institutions must comply with regulatory requirements. Re-activating a trading account through the digital reKYC process can be tricky, but it doesn’t have to be. This blog article will discuss how you can successfully navigate the process and easily re-activate your trading account through reKYC.
Why is reKYC of DEMAT/Trading accounts important?
When you open the DEMAT account, the DP / broker will ask you to fill up a KYC form along with your client agreement form. KYC requires basic paperwork and the submission of essential documents. It also requires originals for complete verification.
KYC norms were put out by the RBI in 2002 and have been adopted by SEBI for all investment-related activities. This includes opening a trading account, DEMAT account, mutual fund investments, etc. The idea was to cut down on corrupt practices. Some examples are money laundering, acting as fronts for entities, trading in cash without audit trails, fraud, and financing of anti-national activities.
The same goes for reKYC process. It is really important to go for reKYC trading accounts for several reasons:
- The reKYC process will allow the account holder to continue to trade securities and access their account information smoothly.
- It will help to ensure that the account holder’s personal information and security settings are up to date.
- It will help to keep the account active and in good standing with the broker or exchange.
What is Digital reKYC?
Digital reKYC is verifying a customer’s identity using online methods such as video KYC, facial recognition, or government-issued ID. This process aims to make it easier for customers to get their accounts reinstated after they have been suspended for suspicious activity.
This process has become increasingly popular as it offers many advantages over traditional KYC methods. For one, it is much faster and more convenient for customers. Additionally, it helps to reduce costs associated with account reactivation.
A visit to the bank branch is not needed to update KYC: RBI
In its latest circular, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has said that If customers have already provided the appropriate documents, they are not required to visit a bank branch to update their ‘know your customer’ (KYC) details. In place of submitting KYC information, they can submit a self-declaration by email, registered mobile number, or any other digital channel if there has been no change. Banks should offer customers the ability to self-declare different aspects through various non-contact methods. These can include registered email addresses or mobile numbers, ATMs, digital channels such as web or app banking, and letters. If the address needs updating only, customers should let their bank know via any of these channels, after which it will be verified within two months.
Advantages of Digital reKYC
The advantages of the Digital reKYC process are many and varied, but some of the most notable advantages include the following:
- A more efficient and streamlined process: The Digital reKYC process is much more efficient than the traditional KYC process, meaning that it can be completed in a fraction of the time.
- More accurate data: Since the Digital reKYC process relies on digital data sources, the data collected is usually more accurate than that collected through traditional methods.
- Increased security: The Digital reKYC process is also much more secure than traditional KYC processes due to the increased use of encryption and other security measures.
Key steps in the reKYC documentation process for the DEMAT/Trading account
- The first step is filling out the KYC form if you are a new investor and opening your DEMAT account for the first time. The application forms require demographic information. This can be named residential address, office address, joint account holder details, account nomination, etc.
- The next step of the investor onboarding process is to present your identity proof. A PAN card is mandatory in this regard. You may also be asked to submit additional government-authorized proof. This can be a passport, driving license, voter ID, Aadhaar, etc.
- The third step involves submitting proof of residential address. The document should include the current address in the exact format. You can provide utility bills with link documents. Other documents, like bank statements, company letters, etc., can also be linked.
- Finally, you must submit a copy of your canceled Cheque. The account holder’s name must be embossed on the Cheque leaf. This is to verify your IFSC code and account details.
Re-activating a trading account through the Digital reKYC process is simple and efficient. By following these three steps, you’ll be able to get back into trading with minimal fuss quickly. The process takes just a few minutes and is completed from the comfort of your end customer’s home.
Signzy is a market-leading platform redefining the speed, accuracy, and experience of how financial institutions are onboarding customers and businesses – using the digital medium. The company’s award-winning no-code GO platform delivers seamless, end-to-end, and multi-channel onboarding journeys while offering customizable workflows. In addition, it gives these players access to an aggregated marketplace of 240+ bespoke APIs, easily added to any workflow with simple widgets.
Signzy is enabling ten million+ end customer and business onboarding every month at a success rate of 99% while reducing the speed to market from 6 months to 3-4 weeks. It works with over 240+ FIs globally, including the 4 largest banks in India, a Top 3 acquiring Bank in the US, and has a robust global partnership with Mastercard and Microsoft. The company’s product team is based out of Bengaluru and has a strong presence in Mumbai, New York, and Dubai.
Visit www.signzy.com for more information about us.
You can reach out to our team at email@example.com
Shraddha is a passionate Digital Marketer and a versatile leader, working as the Director of Marketing at Signzy. She is a goal-driven professional with excellent innovative skills. Having 11+ years of experience across industries including travel, SNV, healthcare, and Fintech, Shraddha considers herself a self-empowered and self-driven individual ready to take on challenges and proactively rise to occasions in crisis. A professional who ardently believes in the right work-life balance, she ensures to spend quality time with her family. This has a positive effect on her professional life and pursuits.